Left reeling after recording the worst attacking start to an NRL season in 15 years, St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has threatened to make changes to his side ahead of Saturday’s clash with Canberra.
The eight points – from just two tries – the Dragons have scored in 2015 in losses to Melbourne and Wests Tigers is the least points a side has scored in the opening two rounds of the NRL premiership since Canterbury managed just two points in their first two games way back in 2000.
With Brett Morris joining the Bulldogs in the off-season, the Dragons attack has been left largely impotent over the opening rounds, though their cause has not been helped by an ankle injury to Josh Dugan.
The fullback missed the Dragons’ 22-4 loss to the Tigers and is only a 50/50 chance of taking on his old club Canberra in the nation’s capital, which has traditionally been a poor hunting ground for the joint venture.
And the Dragons again appear ripe for the picking, given just five days to lick their wounds before facing up to Ricky Stuart’s Raiders.
McGregor said he was maintaining faith in his international halves Benji Marshall and Gareth Widdop but wouldn’t hesitate to wield the axe in a bid to kickstart the Dragons’ season.
“The excuse book will be left at the door come tomorrow,” McGregor said.
“Our biggest thing has been our D from last week, we wanted to improve that and that has been our major focus.
“But in attack we will obviously look at a few things and we might make some changes.
“We need to play a bit flatter and a bit straighter and have some more options out the back.
“It is something we need to fix now.
“The first thing you do is have a really good review of tonight and have a really good chat about it.
“But I’m confident with our playing group.
“We will get it right.”